Saturday, August 16, 2008

Amaranth a Fascinating Ancient Grain


{image via wikipedia}

Just after our trip to Vermont to visit my sisters my daughter asked me if I could make some of that tiny round ball hot cereal like Aunt Bethany made. She could not remember the name of it but loved it and wanted some here at home. So I called up my sister and she said it's called Amaranth ama what? I said. I had never heard that name before it was completely new to me. It was new to me but not the world. Amaranth is a very old in fact ancient grain that was found in cultivation over 6000 years ago. She said you can find it at most health food store or co-ops. So off went looking. And what do you know it was right there next to the rolled oats I buy all the time. After a little research I found out that Amaranth is also known as Pig Weed. I know Pig Weed it was in the fields behind our house when I was growing up. I remember in the fall pulling the seeds off into my hands. Little did I know that I was holding such a wonderful food with an amazing history. Amaranth was used by the ancient Aztec who called it Huautli and made a mixture of Amaranth and honey. We decided to try this yummy treat. I popped the Amaranth and then pour honey over it. The kids loved it. We were thinking of things you could add to the mix such as dried fruits and nuts or even a little organic cocoa powder. It would be a perfect breakfast with some organic raw whole milk poured over top. Amaranth is full of amino acids magnesium iron and very high in protein. This plant is now on my to grow list. As a bonus the flowers can even be used as a deep red dye. Try it sometime. It may just become a staple in your home as it has become in ours.




To cook Amaranth:
-Pop like popcorn in a heavy bottom pan in oil (be sure to stir so it doesn't burn)
-Like oatmeal add water and cook over heat serve with milk and honey or real maple syrup
-Grind into a flour to add to breads, tortillas etc.
Read more about Amarath on Wikipedia.com click here

No comments: